Food

Fife Bakery: The Rise of Your New Favourite Bakery

Posted on January 22, 2017

CityMash.com - Fife Bakery is an artisanal bake shop specializing in old style breads for the new world – and they just opened their doors in Vancouver’s trendy Mount Pleasant neighbourhood.

Owner and baker Felix Yau has set himself apart with his firm belief in the ancient power of levain; a fermented mixture of flour and water naturally cultured in yeast and bacteria that in modern days has been replaced by instant yeast. Unfortunately, while instant or active dry yeast can do the job of levain in half the time, it also cuts half the flavour. Which is why Felix Yau is so adamant about returning to levain with his own special recipe.

Felix’s own levain is already over 10 years old, grown in his parent’s kitchen in 2003. Talk about dedication! The result is perfectly baked European style bread with that irresistibly crunchy shell and a mouth-wateringly moist and fluffy inside.

Breadth of Fresh Air

Felix favours traditional small batch baking techniques over mass production, which often means that he’ll sell out of his coveted breads – so get them while they’re hot! In a world of instant gratification, Felix’s emphasis on quality over quantity is a breath of fresh air.

Get Bready

Felix Yau’s vision is as unique as the quality of his loaves. Fife Bakery’s philosophy is rooted in local, responsible and sustainable ingredients such as flour harvested from the Creston Valley, eggs from Langley and dairy from Abbotsford cows.

The bakery favours sustainable products and as a result, 95% of Fife Bakery’s ingredients are sourced from the Lower Mainland, while the remaining 5% are derived from elsewhere in Canada. You’re looking at a wholly Canadian product that’s as traditional as Old World Europe.

Well Bread

Fife Bakery gets its name from red fife which is a type of wheat. Red fife is the first large scale farmed wheat unique to Canada. Naturally, it comes as no surprise that the bakery’s signature product is their Fife Bread.

Back to Basics

Fife Bakery is singular in focus, and that focus is making the best quality bread. They currently serve Brioche and Country style breads; preferring to focus on perfecting two great styles that customers keep coming back to enjoy.

Some of their creations take up to three days to make with naturally leavened breads. But it’s well worth the wait! The offerings on their menu will change with the seasons, but you can always look forward to the very best bread in the city.

Fife Bakery surely deserves a toast!

Read next:

Home
News
Lifestyle
Events
Food
Restaurants
Entertainment
Canada
Real Estate
Drinks
Attractions
Health
Shopping
Music
Movies
Theatre
Business
Technology
Art
Science
Sports
Dance
Transportation
Charity
Books